Foot pain and foot complaints are very common. An estimated 75% of the population suffers from foot pain daily or occasionally. The foot is an ingenious structure with 26 bones and 33 joints, surrounded by a web of muscles and nerves.
With each step, a force of 2 to 3 times our body weight impacts the feet and ankles. We take an average of 8,000 steps per day, so it is understandable that most of us will experience foot pain at some stag of their lives.
Common factors that play a role with foot complaints include:
- Age: with age our feet tend to spread out and the muscles and tendons in the feet and legs tent to weaken. Also, the fat pads under the heel and ball of the foot become quite thin. Other problems such as arthritis, diabetes and circulatory problems are also common in the elderly.
- Gender: women are at greater risk of foot problems, mainly because of the tight shoes and high heels they wear. Later in life this can cause serious problems.
- Occupation: people who have to stand on their feet all day long, will eventually suffer from foot pain, pain in the legs, knees or lower back.
- Pregnancy: during pregnancy problems arise because of weight gain, swelling of the feet and ankles and an increase in certain hormones which cause an over-relaxation of muscle tissue
- Sports and Running : especially pain in the heel, bakc of the heel and shins occurs frequently in sports and especially when taking up running for the first time
- Weight: people who are overweight will experience an overload of the feet and ankles, putting excess pressure on the bones, muscles and ligaments. OVer time this will lead to foot fatique and pain
- Over-pronation: the inward tilt of the ankles and sagging of the arch plays an important role in the occurrence of foot problems.
Footlogics offers a range of orthotics that can help relieve tired, aching feet. In particular, the Footlogics Sensi offers excellent cushioning, support and walking comfort.